Sunday 17 November 2013

My Day Job - Best Autobiographies

Do you know what my day job is? I'm a window cleaner, that's right a window cleaner. I have been for nearly 28 years now and I can tell you it's not been easy especially physically.

After all it's a demanding job yet one that can have more satisfaction in it than first meets the eye. When I first started in 1986 I bought my window cleaning round from a guy that was retiring. It was a risk I had to take and boy did it pay off. Since then I have had regular, uninterrupted self employment and at pretty good money.

The window cleaning industry has come a long way since those early days in many ways including health and safety. The risks I took when I first started when I used ladders makes me shiver even today. I worked on ladders for about 20 years or so but I miraculously, never fell off and I never had any serious injuries.

Equipment and techniques have moved on to a level unimagined just a few years ago and is much more scientific. Take cleaning with pure water for instance, that is cleaning with water that has been purified and has no minerals left in it. When a window is cleaned, it is brushed and rinsed with this pure water and the effects are almost magical. The water is left to dry on the glass naturally and the effects are truly remarkable. Once dry there is no trace of the water whatsoever unlike if the job was done with tap water.

On that first day of window cleaning, almost 28 years ago, I had a set of wooden ladders a mop and squeegee in a bucket and that was my investment. Now the equipment can cost thousands.  For instance, I now have two poles with a combined value of nearly a thousand pounds not to mention the van and all the associated equipment within.

instructional videos
If you are interested in starting your own business or are just curious, just have a look at my YouTube channel with this a starting video, one of nearly 200 instructional videos on window cleaning.

No comments:

Post a Comment